In this post I’ll elaborate on my plans for October 2016 and I would love it if you shared your plans / input as well 😀
Why I choose Inktober
I briefly considered the other challenges, but I have participated in Inktober before and enjoyed it very much. For me, it has the following benefits:
- A relatively simple premise: make ink drawings (usually one a day, for the entire month of October);
- A great community of artists! I met a bunch of great people through the #inktober hashtag on social media;
- While some challenges focus on a specific social channel (it seems the Month of Fear is mostly active on Tumblr?), Inktober entries are posted all over the place;
- Inktober is a fun way to improve drawing skills with ink and to keep creating, even when life gets busy.
So it seems Inktober is the way to go for me. I am going on holiday to Chile by the end of the month though, so I’ll either work ahead or try to upload drawings while abroad.
Generally, I’ll follow these rules as written down by Inktober’s founder Jake Parker:
1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).
2) Post it online
3) Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2016
Note: you can do it daily, or go the half-marathon route and post every other day, or just do the 5K and post once a week. What ever you decide, just be consistent with it. INKtober is about growing and improving and forming positive habits, so the more you’re consistent the better.
So what to draw?
I haven’t yet decided whether I’ll be using Inktober’s prompts or the fun spooky calendar set up by Drawlloween, or whether I will think of my own theme. The ‘anything goes’ premise is both liberating and a tad intimidating 😉
So far, I am considering:
- Imaginary creature themed drawings
- Animal themed drawings
- Fantasy themed drawings
- Fan art of my favourite books/movies
- Re-design of Harry Potter characters and scenes
- A short written story-moment plus illustration a day
- Drawlloween’s prompts
- Inktober’s prompts
- Anything goes!
Which of these would you like to see me do for Inktober? I still have a few days left to think about it, but it will be the 1st of October before we know it 😀
Share your own plans!
Are you going to participate in one of the October challenges? If so, which one? And will you use prompts? Feel free to comment with a link to where you will share your works, I’d love to see them.